Groups of hosting solutions
A hosting service is associated with keeping and/or sharing specific content on a hosting server administered by a website hosting supplier. There are various categories of hosting services used for different ends, so let's have a gaze at these. In that way, you can pick what you need, based on whether you wish to set up a site, mail aliases, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by some firms, which allows you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only goal is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage solutions are often supported by exhibiting adverts beside the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a specific spell of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting corporations, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a totally wrong interpretation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would assign the tasks at hand between independent sets of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different web hosting services (email, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, web space hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a type of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; specific distributors offer a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting type is appropriate if you would like to share a huge quantity of pictures with chums or colleagues since the solution is usually free. You will get a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to administering your mail accounts. Some vendors provide web space hosting solutions for websites, but do not supply an e-mail solution. If you desire to manage an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can open e-mail box accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video produces a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video clips and several hundred website viewers, you may have difficulty with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video clip will allow you to own as many video files as you would like without hassling about system reserves.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to have a site. To some extent, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and e-mails, upload video clips, etc. At Connecting The World For Less, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that allow you to get all of the aforesaid services in a single place. There may be limits depending on the form of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are designed for specific content solely.